Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Truth

I think I've felt almost every emotion possible on this trip. I don't think of myself as a very emotional person but I'm sure that most people would disagree with that.

There have been so many times that I've felt angry and frustrated that I can't even count. Those feelings stem from arguments that I have with the people I'm working with, seeing how this country is run or even just from observing the way Ugandan culture has been built up.

I thought I had a lot of patience but there's a huge difference between dealing with a crying baby in Canada and an incredibly slow-paced culture in Uganda. My patience is tested multiple times a day here. Sometimes I let the fury build up and other times I explode. Either way, it's not pretty.

On the flip side, I have also become overwhelmed with joy here. I get excited when I have a yummy meal or see a group of children laughing. I've been moved to tears by the nature around me - sunsets from Arua Hill or seeing a herd of elephants in the distance on the Nile River.



The reason I'm talking about this is because yesterday I had three people tell me that they appreciated the honesty I speak in my blogs. But truthfully, there's so much more I could say.

When I get back home I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to talk about a lot of my experiences right away. Don't be offended, I just need to find a balance between complaining and romanticising the lifestyle here.

In any case, I have one month left and I'm sure in that month I'll have many more experiences to come with plenty of emotional ups and downs. We have two weeks left of the sports program, the grand opening of the Internet cafe, a white water rafting trip, a potential visit to Rhino Camp and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (if the situation gets better)as well as some down time in Kampala. All that before a four-day trip to Europe and then home to Canada again. Wow, that's an exciting month now that I think about it.

2 comments:

  1. interesting blog
    i`ll follow it with pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally know what you mean about everything you spoke about in this blog. I feel so frustrated when I work on the continent for many reasons you mentionned, and more.
    It's hard for other people to understand, but try to talk about it to people as soon as you can - it definitely helps!!
    Thinking of you!!!

    ReplyDelete